15 September 2012

Lost in Sagada (Part 2)

to continue...

5. Chill. Most people go to Sagada seeking for a little bit of outdoor fun. Usually, it's caving and trekking that tops the list of must-do activities. For those on drama mode (like me at that time, I shamefully admit), Sagada can also be the perfect spot to do a little retreat. The town is quiet, charming, the air is cool and the views are just splendid. I think I spent more than half of my time there just reclining in a chair, reading and writing. Here are my favorite chill-out spots:

Bana's Cafe

Not your typical cafe of the Starbucks variety. It doesn't look very appealing from the outside and one would be hard pressed to find it when passing by the road. But the place, once you get inside, is very cozy--especially at the dining area by the terrace where I usually sit for my cup of coffee. And since September is an off-peak season for tourist influx, I virtually have the whole place to myself. I always have my breakfast here. Meals are not exactly exceptional, but the coffee is. At P30/cup, their freshly brewed Cordillera coffee is a far cry from their overpriced counterparts at the more posh cafes in the metro. One can also sample here a more exotic blend of coffee, the Kape Alamid, which is made from the droppings of the alamid or the civet cat ( if you're curious to know what sh*t tastes like, then try this one). :-p

early morning at Bana's Cafe

Another view of the dining area
Kape Alamid

Kanip-Aw Pines View Lodge

People do not travel just to get holed up in a lodge or hotel, but you might want to rethink about this place. This is hands down the best lodging I have ever had while travelling. They have a spacious common room which I totally adore, with glass windows allowing guests a majestic view of Mt. Kanip-Aw. The best part is being out on the terrace. On early mornings, the place is so beautifully quiet and all you can hear is the chirping of the birds and the rushing sounds of a nearby river (really. this is not an exaggeration).

the common area

best place to write



early morning view from the terrace

6. Strolling around town. The air gets thin high up in the mountains but strolling around town is never an arduous task. With views getting more splendid the farther away you are from the town center, doing a bit of hiking can be quite rewarding. On my last morning in Sagada, I did some solo trekking, trying to locate the entrance to Sumaguing Cave. Not really hard to find, though, as the locals are very friendly and will gladly help out with directions.

Episcopal Church of St. Mary the Virgin

students on an outdoor art class

on the way to Sumaguing Cave

still on the road

Kapay-Aw rice terraces

stairway leading down to the cave entrance

entrance to Sumaguing Cave


The thing I don't like about Sagada? Nights. Freezing cold and awfully quiet. It can get very lonely being all by yourself. What made it even worse is that there is no signal for Sun Cellular, the Smart tower is undergoing repair, no wifi even, and all the mini-groceries and sari-sari stores are out of stock of Globe sim. I was virtually cut off from all sort of outside communication. It makes the feeling of isolation even more pronounced. Nights forced me to be alone with the thoughts I would rather not recall, which is a very maddening thing. I eagerly waited for the morning to rescue me from that lonely pit.

Minus the nights, though, I would say that my Sagada experince has been generally pleasant and charming. The best thing I realized about being alone is that, well, it sucks. But solitude does have its perks. It is both beauty and madness. And sometimes, we just need to escape every once in a while  to appreciate the things we oftentimes take for granted (e.g. cellphone signals).

I will be coming back to this place definitely. I haven't done the Sumaguing-Lumiang cave connection yet and I am aching to go on that trek to Kiltepan and the Bomod-ok falls. But I don't think I would want to do it alone next time. If any of you want to come along and if you're willing to endure a 24-hour land travel, just contact me. :)

'Til the next road trip.



2 comments:

  1. Nyax~ walay Sun jud diay. Hm. Reading your post, I, somehow, know a very interesting side of you -- you don't drink just ordinary coffee pala. Dapat "Kape Alamid"! buwahahaha... and here I thought Milo ra imong imnon. So, I guess you just have to go to Sagada to drink sh*t. :p
    (Note: P30/cup amidst the natural scenery is still worth it than a P100+ tall surrounded by buzzing and chaotic mumbling of the urban jungle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahal kaayo ning kape alamid, na-ilad ra jud ko ani. I think people mainly try this to satisfy their curiosity. It's not one nga balik-balikon jud nimo.

    ReplyDelete