21 October 2012

Three Ways To Die


1

New Year’s Eve.  The food is laid out on the table, everyone is in festive mode. Beth is sitting out on the balcony, watching her brothers set up giant sparklers on the sidewalk. She strokes her swelling belly. Being pregnant at sixteen is not easy, but she’s determined to keep her child. She thinks of New Year’s resolutions to write in her journal later on—go to college, make up for lost time with my parents, be a good mom—while  several meters away, a stray bullet fired from a drunk policeman’s gun is hurtling its way to her head.

2

“This is a hold-up,” the man hissed in Tamara’s ear while he presses a gun to her neck. “Give me your wallet and your cellphone.” Tamara wildly looks around for help. There is nobody else in sight.

“Please don’t kill me,” Tamara pleads. With shaking hands, she reaches inside her bag and hands over her valuables. The man releases his grip on her and manages a smirk. “By the way, this is a toy gun,” he mocks before running away. In her rage, Tamara runs across the street to chase him. A speeding truck hits her before she can scream.

3

The plot in the cemetery is ready. It’s a lovely patch with wildflowers and Jun has already made an advance payment to the caretaker who will be doing the grave maintenance. He has already bought the pine-wood coffin, made reservations at the funeral parlour, estimated the number of guests who will be coming. What he needs to do now is complete the list of songs to be played at the wake. Jun has lung cancer. His doctors have given him only three more months to live. 

He ponders for a while then downloads Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven from iTunes.


7 comments:

  1. Read my words: rainbows, unicorns, and lollipops. Get the picture? Well, you must have written something good 'coz I felt so bad after reading this post.

    The title reminds me of the song, 50 Ways to Say Goodbye. You heard of it?

    Short excerpt:
    She went down in an airplane
    Fried getting suntanned
    Fell in a cement mixer full of quicksand
    Help me, help me, I'm no good at goodbyes!
    She met a shark under water
    Fell and no one caught her
    I returned everything I ever bought her
    Help me, help me, I'm all out of lies
    And ways to say you died

    Catchy tune too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Train has nice songs. 50 Words sort of sounds like Phantom of the Opera (speaking of which, the shows just ended last week without me in the audience seat because someone out there doesn't want to accompany me even though he/she really wants to watch it, and to think I'm just 15 minutes away from CCP. Grr!).

    Anyway. It's not my intention to make anyone feel bad. Death reminds me how short life really is, that we live only once and it makes me want to do it right. :)

    But don't ask me if I did it right already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you're right! I googled the song after hearing it on the radio coz it sounded a lot like Phantom of the Opera and thought it was a love song. Ha! I was wrong.

    Gee- Whoever could that someone be? Sayangah! tsk tsk. :p Hehe.

    -_- (My heartfelt apology)

    Ei, let's rewind muna and not talk about death. My friend shared to me an article. It has good arguments and I think you might find this entertaining too. It's offtopic pero I guess, it can still relate depending on how you interpret it. :p Hahaha. Here ya go:
    http://www.rappler.com/move-ph/33-editors-pick-moveph/14593-love,-life,-and-leftover-women


    ReplyDelete
  4. 50 ways to say goodbye sad ako na think. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erratum: 50 Words -> 50 Ways

    50 Ways To Say Goodbye.. Mura pud nig kanta ni Weird Al Yankovic, kato about the many ways the girl is trying to kill her boyfriend.

    Re the article. Mao jud. It's exactly what a defensive, bitter and single 27+ something woman would say. Haha. Pero bitaw no rush lang gud. Chill lang and enjoy life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ny: This piece is still beautiful, not pretty, but beautiful. Like Lydia Davis-beautiful. However familiar the stories seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just a spur-of-the moment thing after having read Readers Digest's 100-word story samples. I told my roommate nga magsuwat kog patay2x after she suggested that I join the contest, and she just smiled. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete